View Single Post
Old 30-03-2019, 21:08   #5094
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

No, Old Boy he means the charges that companies will charge.

So, if you're a independent film maker with a £200k budget, most of which is spent on making a film, the chance that the film will ever appear on Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ etc is zero because the barriers, the charges, will be too high.

Another example is premiership football. If you're a new media company today, you could never afford to compete against the big players for the rights to show matches, as the barriers, the charges, are too high.

I've not always agreed with jfman in regards to this thread, but on this I do agree. I had a graphic somewhere (which I can't find) which illustrated that something like 40-50 years ago there were 200+ American media companies. Essentially, that 200 is now down to less than 10.

And its not just tv, newspapers in the States are dominated now by just a couple of companies.

Another "recent" example of this is search engines. Anyone remember Lycos, Yahoo, Alta Vista? Now its pretty much just Google or Mircosoft's Bing. Two companies dominating all internet search, where there used to be dozens. And those two companies decide what is relevant or not, when you search for a term.

All organisations want to get as big and powerful as possible and streaming will be no different. There may well be dozens of streamers out there, like there is now, but the streaming market will be dominated by no more six players at most. Which six, take your bets now.