View Single Post
Old 17-09-2021, 15:25   #40
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Landlines to be axed by 2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
currently, IIRC all 999 calls will piggyback on the best signal, regardless if it is your operator or not.

So if that can be done, surely it's easy to allow them to make ordinary calls
It’s technically easy but not desirable. Cells have limited capacity, as we know only too well around here. Most of the year I can get close to 150Mbps from my local EE cell, which is its maximum. But for a few weeks in the summer when all the local caravan sites are full I’m lucky to get 2Mbps download in the evening. Now, EE is the only functional network in the area, and it struggles to cope at times, just from an influx of its own customers. Imagine the havoc if they just allowed any phone to use the cell.

Infrastructure sharing, I think, is likely to go little further than tower sharing. Each network operator is going to have to put their own hardware on the tower and ensure there’s enough backhaul capacity for their needs.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote