View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 14:55   #781
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In my opinion its still a pipe dream with the exception of Disney I don't see many brave enough to go it alone outside the USA.

I still see the others licensing content to third parties.
If Hollywood never sold its stuff outside America before, then I'd agree, but Hollywood's films and tv span the globe and that's before further media consolidation probably with more telecoms and tech companies.

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I do think also that as material becomes about 5 years old on any streamer, many programmes will be made available elsewhere, either exclusively or on a non-exclusive basis.[

If they do, I would imagine that they will give the content rights to the SVOD services rather than the pay-tv channels.
Certainly Comcast and AT&T have publicly said they will still licence content, especially older content to third parties, but lets see how long that model can continue for in the streaming world. Not long, me thinks.