View Single Post
Old 27-05-2021, 10:58   #53
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: UK BLM leader shot in head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Maybe you need to question yours.

Saying that XXXX matters implies that YYYY does not, otherwise there would simply be no point in stating it at all.

So yes, going around saying that Black Lives Matter implies that [any] others do not.
If that were not the case, why was there all that massive fuss about the "White Lives Matter" banner last year.
I did a bit of digging on the Internet when this controversy arose as my initial thinking was the same as yours. However, I did a little research and was reassured by what I found:
Quote:
White Lives Matter' or 'All Lives Matter' reactions miss the point because the Black Lives Matter movement is not about denigrating the worth of other ethnic groups; it is about highlighting a specific problem.

Black Lives Matter is against racism and systemic injustices against the Black community, and it works for equality for everyone.

The message of the slogan is not that Black lives matter more. It is not that the lives of Caucasian people don't matter. It is that Black lives matter just as much.

Reactionary cries that 'White Lives Matter!' or even 'All Lives Matter!' demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding of what BLM is working for and fighting against.

Such cries also have the effect of diminishing the plight of a community that has suffered violent subjugation in the past and continues to feel the residual ill effects of history, with overt and subtle racism still evident today.

The fact that 'White Lives Matter' has been used as a slogan for white supremacist groups is highly problematic and it creates an absurd false equivalence.
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/expl...318648p0s2rwg8
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote