View Single Post
Old 17-05-2021, 19:55   #10482
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I think you’ll find it’s the uncertainty over the value - which you had accepted earlier. Basic supply and demand tells you that had there been clear demand there would be clear additional value - and an auction.
Yes, I do accept there is uncertainty over the value. And I think both Sky and BT may well pay less for the rights next time around..

But my post stated that the reason for the cancelled auction was the Coronavirus. ASI have said already, the Premier League used that as the basis of their proposal. Why you continue to dispute that despite the evidence there in black and white is beyond me, I’m afraid.

But of course you keep arguing that black is white, so maybe you cannot read the letter.

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Yet I’ve pointed to many cash heavy media companies who could “blow Sky/BT” out the water on the basis of existing assets. The key point that I’ve been trying to tell you (and you persistently ignore) is there’s no viable underlying business model that warrants that kind of outlay.

If a streamer wanted to enter the market the best time was 3 years ago when the value of the rights declined. The second best time is now.

Yet there’s no appetite.
Perhaps, with your economist’s hat on you can tell me how Sky and BT can afford to buy rights to Premiership football (even before Comcast took over) but the big fella streamers cannot.

On the contrary to what you have said about entering the market, the best time to enter will be next time, when I believe there will be even less appetite by Sky and BT to fork out a small fortune for the rights. This will allow interested streamers to bid less with a good chance of success. Additionally, the broadband rollout will have advanced further by then, increasing the potential audience.