View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 11:09   #1994
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
An interesting question. EU law says banks must be in the member state where most of their customers are. Whether they would make an exception for Scotland, if its banks were in the same currency zone, I don't know.

However, there will be no currency union with an independent Scotland. If there is a CU, then it will be part of a face-saving framework that allows Salmond to say Scotland is independent ... but it won't be. A nation of 5 million people that has to have its budget approved by the next-door nation 10 times bigger is not independent.
That is what I have been saying all along. Wanting to retain the monarchy, the pound, the EC membership and any other bits that might win a few Yes votes. The real choice is between an interdependent independence and a, yet to be defined, increased devolution.

Real independence isn't really possible in the modern world:
There is the possibility that Scotland could vote to remain part of the Union but a UK referendum has them leaving the EC, or Scotland votes Yes and rUK leaves the EC.

No matter how the vote goes on the 18th there are interesting political times ahead in these isles of ours.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's no where near common sense for rUK to join into this. .
Common sense was too loose a term to use. I meant common sense for the many sectors who have businesses both sides of the border..
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote