Thread: Superhub Remote cctv viewing
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 12:01   #3
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Remote cctv viewing

Most home networks use 192.168 addresses. The 3rd digit is normally also "fixed" but will vary between different manufacturers/ISPs.

There are some rules
.0 is the network address and .255 broadcast so you can't use them.

My router allows me to limit the range of numbers that are allocated on request (I've set 100-200) which leaves me 2-99 and 201-254 for static devices or where I can fix the address in DHCP so the device can remain using DHCP but on my network always gets the same address. So my printer is fixed at 254.

In your case it seems the DVR has a fixed address on your old network so you need to get to it and change to either using DHCP or alter the 3rd digit to match your new network. Then you can port forward to the device through the SHub.

A more complex alternative would be to alter the netmask for the network, normally set to 255.255.255.0. This fixes the first 3 sections and gives you 254 client addresses. If you change it to 255.255.254.0 it allows you to use variation in the 3rd digit, in this case only the last bit so you could have 192.168.0 and 192.168.1 and all the clients excluding 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.255. But this is far more tricky and may not be possible on some equipment.

Last edited by tweetiepooh; 11-07-2018 at 12:06.
tweetiepooh is offline   Reply With Quote