Thread: VM Business Cloudflare issue
View Single Post
Old 14-10-2020, 15:34   #10
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Cloudflare issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Ok, it seems to be a regional network fault. There are actually 5 active CMTSs in New Malden, but I can recreate the fault from all of them. I can also recreate in Croydon, Hersham, Hayes and Watford, but not from outside the London area. I'll report it to the appropriate people tomorrow.
Thank you!

I've been struggling with this for a week before I realised what the issue was, I've just checked and it is fixed now.

Thank goodness I wasn't going mad.

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Their service should prioritise DNS over responding to pings, but that said, Im getting 100% ping response here from 1.1.1.1, with an average of 15ms.
Yeah, but I was seeing DNS lookup failures, it was making browsing the web almost impossible. I worked back from the DNS failures to ping and not the other way around, it still could have been a false positive but with both seemingly confirming a packet loss I figured there was an issue.

I'm the author of Pingnoo https://github.com/fizzyade/pingnoo so understand why ping may not be a useful metric unless you know what you're doing.

I may now add a DNS lookup module into Pingnoo to check for actual losses during lookup.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote