View Single Post
Old 24-08-2020, 16:57   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
I need a decent 4G modem/router with external aerial

So, after the requirements of lockdown basically killed the battery of my 3 year old iPhone SE (thanks to my keeping it permanently plugged into the mains and tethered to my Mac for Zoom etc for 5 months), I am in the market for a decent 4G modem/router that must be able to attach to an external aerial to improve my 4G reception. I'm wondering if anyone's ever dipped in to this and has any advice.

At the moment I am using the BT 4G mini hub they send you when you have a problem with your ADSL and it delivers a surprisingly good (for our location) of around 12mbit down, 4mbit up, providing I blu-tack it to precisely the right spot on our living room window. This is not an ideal long term solution.

After we had a landline fault, BT left the mini hub running for a couple of weeks longer than strictly necessary but they have now advised me it will cut off within the next few days. I've already ordered a second SIM on my EE mobile account with unlimited everything ... when it arrives I will put it in the BT mini hub until I can set up something permanent. After that, our ADSL will be used for our Echo devices, wifi calling on our mobile phones, and casual browsing; the 4G will be used to run the smart TV and any computer requiring fast upload (i.e me and my eldest, who both have college lectures online this coming term).

So something that sits on a surface in the house, with a decent wifi signal, the all-important external 4G antenna connection, and also I suppose any wisdom you have on a practical antenna solution. What's the trade off between cable length and antenna height, that sort of thing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote