View Single Post
Old 23-02-2019, 09:29   #18
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Oscar Nominations 2019

Doing the nominations from the biggest grossing films would always end up benefiting the blockbusters with bigger budgets and bigger marketing pushes though. Shawshank Redemption wouldn't have got a nomination under such a system as it was a flop, a commercial failure hardly anyone watched in cinemas, but it did get a nomination and in retrospect that decision was right. It's a great film. You're also unlikely to ever have a non-English language film get nominated or anything only for adults.

Ultimately it's an industry awards show voted for by actors, directors and the rest as to what they think are the best performances and films. It's not an indicator of quality either of course. But it's why films like Roma and Green Book get nominated at all.

Anyway they might bring back the Most Popular Oscar next year.

I wouldn't mind Black Panther winning. I think there is something to be said for it's cultural impact too. It would be a biggest impact than Roma winning (although no film 'predominately not in the English language has ever won best film). I can't see who else would win, maybe A Star is Born will spring a surprise, or Green Book but the backlash against he latter might have hurt it.

I also have a feeling Star Wars will be nominated and maybe win next year. Not so much for the film itself but like 'A Return to the King' they'll award it as a general nod towards 'Star Wars' itself. Everyone understands Lord of the Rings Best Picture Oscar was awarded to the trilogy as a whole.

Anyway I am off to put £10 on Black Panther to win
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote