View Single Post
Old 23-02-2019, 08:43   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Oscar Nominations 2019

Good. I was really please last year when they announced the shakeup after the rating decline and said they were going to introduce a new popular movie category because I thought it was finally a chance for films like Star Wars/MCU/Ready Player One etc to get recognised and not get a silly award for sound editing. I didn't realise until last week when I was reading a news article about this years ceremony that the popular award category has now been dropped.
I have still got three films left I need to watch before the ceremony tomorrow night but I have watched all the films nominated for best picture. With the exception of Roma I enjoyed watching all of them. Each one was engrossing and told a different story. Black Panther is a standalone film as are the others so can be treated equally (unlike Infinity War if it was nominated because it has 10 years of work behind it) and I genuinely believe that out of the group of nominees this year Black Panther was the best film. It wasn't the best film of the year but it is the best out of the nominated films. There may be other films (e.g. Roma) that may have had a better screenplay or cinematography and that is why categories exist for those films; so they can be recognised. The award for best movie is a culmination of every aspect of the film and Black Panther should get it. I am sure that there will be some speeches for any award it receives touting equality, black actors, black director, female cast etc but it should stand on its merits.

I think I have said it before but I am a firm believer that the best picture should be voted on from a list of the top 5 highest grossing films globally. Your list for last year would be Infinity War, Black Panther, Jurassic World, Incredibles 2 and Aquaman.

I'll never forget 2009 when Avatar didn't win. I thought The Hurt Locker was a really good film and enjoyed it but it was no way the best film of the year and incomparable to Avatar. The Hurt Locker grossed $50m globally vs Avatar's $2.7bn. How can it be the best film if nobody watched it?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote