View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 18:06   #811
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

I sent an email to them the other day stating that I didn't give them permission to use my data in the way they intend.

Got a phone call at 4.45 today stating that they had received my email but didn't have a start date and couldn't confirm that I'd be opted out from my contact with them.

However the woman on the phone kept telling me I'd have an opt out and that they'd be contacting ALL customers before launch.

I said that as far as I was concerned I'd told them I didn't want my data processing in any way other than to provide me with the service and that was that. If they then did I'd refer the matter to the IOC as a breach of the DPA.

Quote:
Dear Shaun

Further to our telephone conversation today I confirm we have received your email that you do not give us premission [sic] to give your details to phorm. i have also fully noted your account. please see below more information.

Protecting customers' privacy

Webwise has been designed from the ground up to protect our customers' privacy and anonymity. As the system only learns about topics of interest, it does this anonymously, ensuring their privacy is completely protected.

Neither the web addresses, nor search terms they use are stored. They are purely matched to an advertising topic and then discarded.
Webwise doesn't store their internet (IP) address or keep track of their browsing. The system or advertisers won't know who you are or the websites they've visited.
No personally identifiable information such as email addresses, surnames, street addresses, or phone numbers are ever gathered.
No sensitive or personal financial information, such as credit card numbers, login IDs, passwords or bank account numbers are ever gathered.
Customers won't be forced to use the system, and will have the choice to keep their internet experience exactly as it is now. As we get closer to launch we'll explain how this will work.

if you like to discuss the above further with me I can be reached on 0845 650 3131.

Kind regards

Darya
Customer Concern
Virgin Media