View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 11:07   #248
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Premier Plus was a major flop for SKY that lasted for a few seasons. A combination of poor games, unfavourable broadcast times and customers not willing to pay more killed off the concept.

It's these same factors that could make it a tough sell for Amazon if they win a package. It's likely SKY and BT would exercise their first, second and third match day picks to snap up each week's top fixtures leaving Amazon with some utter dross on a Tuesday or Wednesday day night. Subscribers who already have a subscription to both BT Sport and Sky Sports would be thinking "Do I really want to add a 3rd subscription to a service I can't even watch on my TV through my SKY / Virgin box for C and D level matches?"

How would Amazon even go about getting their games onto screens in pubs and other commercial premises? Kit them out with Fire TV and fast reliable broadband?
Exactly my feelings, it will be a difficult sell for 4th or 5th rate matches when you already have better games to watch - maybe a few punters who want to watch their favourite team but cannot see it being a big earner.

I know the companies mentioned can afford to run at a loss, but surely their goal is to make money off streaming after a couple of loss-leading years?

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That was one of the many thoughts l had MM.
Yes and Scudamore (CEO Premier League) plus OB of course