View Single Post
Old 24-02-2019, 10:17   #11
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Weekend support (SLA details) for business customers

I don't have a lot to add to the good advice others have provided here. I had a problem with a couple of channels with low SNR, and found the connection in the Omnibox on the front was the issue - as VM tech has removing and replacing the connections can help. check the copper centre core of the coax is clean and bright too. In my case it wasn't but a quick clean and refit of the connection made the difference.

Also I note the Hitrons tend to report SNR lower than other devices. As an example I still have my old Superhub 1 based Business hub, as I was trialing the Hitron service I had both running for a time and then they just ceased the original service and told me they didn't want the SH1 back.

As the Hitron doesn't report things like upstream modulation etc, but the SH1 does, I kept it to see when my upstreams went to QAM64, which they have now. But I noticed this SNR difference. The SH1 was reporting 39 / 40 dB SNR on the 8 channels it could lock onto but the Hitron reports 35 to 36 dB.

I have one channel at 34 dB at the moment, but not suffering performance issues - getting around 360-370 Mb/s a lot of the time, and this is with the fixed IP address / routable subnet option.

I note your upstream channels report odd numbers - ie not round numbers ending in 000 etc.. I get the same especially after a Hitron restart, and usually they then drift to numbers ending 000 after a day or three.

As has been said SNR faults are not specific to your connection, and as such should be escalated. A year or so ago my area started to suffer SNR problems, and VMB were very good at escalating to the networks team to resolve. At no time was a visit to me required.

Maybe vm_tech can advise more - but I would suggest this should have already been escalated to networks and if not calling back in, even today should get them onto it? Suspect an SNR issue is worked on outside the normal SLA?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote