View Single Post
Old 16-02-2020, 15:25   #67
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Quite frankly I couldn't give a monkeys! I haven't watched UK terrestial TV for years nor a BBC radio station, they could shut the lot for all I care.

Haven't paid the license fee for years either despite the begging letters and an inspection every 3-5 years because the don't believe me until they see it. They still keep harrassing though.
You're in the minority. Fanboys of Star Trek/ the Expanse etc, are a tiny fraction of the the viewing figures the BBC gets. BBC1 had 55 million watched it at some point last quarter, let alone it other channels radio stations and services it provides. At £13 a month it's incredible value for the original content compared to VM/Sky subs and their 20 mins of ads an hour. Subscription only it would be a heck of a lot more than £13.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-uk-by-reach/
Quote:
. Quarterly reach of the leading 20 TV channels in the United Kingdom (UK) as of 3rd quarter 2019(in millions)
Reach in millions*
BBC 1 55
Channel 4 51.1
BBC 2 49.6
Channel 5 47.7
ITV 45.3
ITV 2 39
E4 30.2
ITV HD 28.7
BBC 4 28.3
Even BBC4 is watched by more than any Sky channel !

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well as seen as where I live I can pick up about 5no. Different BBC regional stations I would certainly think they could easily lose a few.
I would say it's regional services, both TV and radio, are one of the most valuable it provides. Particularly in flood situations like we have atm. A commercial provider wouldn't do this unless they could see a profit.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote