View Single Post
Old 23-01-2020, 15:55   #7242
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I’m confused about britbox. I thought it was just for people outside the Uk to watch bbc and itv shows? I would have thought all these bbc shows and itv shows are on Netflix, prime, iPlayer and itv play ?

Or are we literally paying the same price as other subscribers even though we paid our license fee for the bbc stuff already...
Britbox is supposed to become the ultimate box set library of UK-produced tv entertainment. Stuff that is currently on other services, like Netflix, is likely to disappear from there and go Britbox-exclusive in the long run. The app was available at launch on various devices in the UK including (I think) any Samsung smart tv from series 7 onwards (so less than about 3 years old). It’s available for mine but I’m not going to add it unless I decide to give it a try (which I might, when I foresee a long spell of bingeing ... I quite fancy going through all that classic Doctor Who).

But anyway, aside from the fact that a lot of the material on Britbox wasn’t ever shown on the BBC (ITV is the co-owner), it is a common misconception that the TV licence grants UK TV viewers rights in perpetuity to BBC content. This has never been the case. The BBC doesn’t even own a lot of supposedly BBC shows, and won’t be the sole beneficiary of slices of the subscription pie for much of the stuff they originally broadcast. Often the BBC receives pitches from third parties for their drama ideas, and in return for commissioning them, the BBC gets a say in the creative development of the show and first run rights. After that the production company usually gets to sell overseas and on blu ray.

Last edited by Chris; 23-01-2020 at 16:01.