View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 19:49   #13
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I *think* what Womble is referring to is a major announcement to ntl staff today about things like evening calls outs/overtime being heavily restricted/stopped.

I heard a whisper earlier today, so I'm presuming that's what is being referred to.

Take it to PM pls Ik.
I heard earlier this week, not sure if theres any connection to whats being discussed here, that all non-essential maintenance is being stopped...I Never knew they were doing any maintenance.

I guess Womble has been in a meeting this week!

I think this was specifically aimed at network upgrades and resegs etc, the guy telling me said it was amazing that they are cutting costs at a time when they are launching vod etc. All service affecting changes have to be carried out on an out-of hours basis, and this is as always caused a big impact on overtime pay. (Although I understood they were tricking the vendor into paying most of this )

Also they are looking at wroking practices in the region/regions, and the minimum amount of cover they can get away with out of hours. He said it looks like they are going to change things back to how they were before they messed about with them.

I have told you all before, there is a big financial problem with ntl. There is absolutely zero money available, and after they have cut staff to the bone redundancies are not a big saver anymore. I have exchanged a few PM's with one employee and told him of a department that will be hit before the end of this year, it looks very likely that support functions carried out by the most skilled employees ntl have will come under attack. It also looks like this time around jobs will not be created to keep people.
It was also rumoured that many of the administrative posts created after the big re-shuffle will also come under scrutiny, this is a sad shame for the people affected if this is true but there is a big question mark over why so many admin posts were created after the big re-shuffle.

ntl is in big bother, the shareholders have tried to cut corners and make a quick buck. A few employees have been taken in by their actions, but at last it looks like their plans are breaking at the seams.

ntl's problems were not just financial before they went into chapter 11, they were just as much about how the company operates. Making people redundant and then creating new "jobs for the boys" will hopefully not happen this time around.