View Single Post
Old 23-12-2019, 11:06   #2060
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

That the economy would suffer (it has not), that the EU negotiations would not get beyond phase 1 (which they did), that we would never get a withdrawal agreement past Brussels (which we did), that Boris would never get rid of the backstop (which he did within three months...).

I'm not sure which of your predictions on this subject you think have come to pass. Yes, the pound has dropped in value, but that will recover when there is certainty in the minds of investors.

Your views are influenced a lot by economic forecasts, but you don't seem to accept that time and time again, these have been proved wrong, based as they are on negatives, without proper consideration of the positives.
Old Boy, firstly thank you for your comprehensive answer. However, I make the following responses:
1) Brexit has not happened yet so projections of what will happen to the economy are still valid. What we do know is that the £ has fallen in value since the referendum result, investment has dropped but unemployment remains low. Forecasts do include positives but you fail to acknowledge the analysis done by Her Majesty's Treasury and instead adopt a conspiracy theory that they are all Remainers. I must remind you that every civil servant I've spoken to has been keen on Brexit as it has increased job opportunities for them!
2) I'm not sure what you mean about Phase 1 negotiations - I've never mentioned this.
3) I've also never predicted we wouldn't get a withdrawal agreement in place. Are you confusing me with someone else?
3) Regarding the backstop, I pointed out that that it was impossible for the UK to have a hard Brexit and for there to be no hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.
What is happening is that Northern Ireland is effectively following EU rules so the border will be between GB and Northern Ireland. This was something that the EU offered Theresa May but she declined it as she felt it split the Union plus the DUP would never approve it. See here https://flipchartfairytales.wordpres...johnsons-suez/

---------- Post added at 10:06 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Brexit hasn't happened yet OB, and may not truly happen for years. The economic damage will the become apparent then and the years after, all too late of course.

---------- Post added at 08:58 ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 ----------

You did read djfunkdup's post, didn't you ??
Spot on Mr K.