View Single Post
Old 20-10-2019, 09:44   #8
baz
cf.member

baz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: basestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Yes I usually monitor the HFGCS and Russian Strategic Air Force frequencies on HF in addition to the civil and military air bands on VHF and UHF.

For HF Listening I use a couple of dedicated amateur band antennas which work well on receive across the entire HF band with a pretty low noise floor:

40m End Fed Half Wave with the far end up at 75ft sloping down to a homebrew matching network bolted to a fence post at the back of the garden. Being a sloper it is slightly directional.

20m Delta Loop suspended between my tower and 2 trees in the front garden (with a little help from a DJI drone )

On the higher bands there's a couple of homebrew J-Poles for the civil and military air bands near the top of the tower. They are simply made from copper pipe and elbow joints.

The main radios are off the shelf amateur transceivers: Yaesu FT1000MP MK V and Kenwood TS480HX for HF and a Yaesu FT847 for VHF/UHF
I have two yupi mvt7100 hooked up to homemade bowtie arial with good results I also have a uniden ubc785xlt and a yasue vr-5000 which I don't use as the moment as having great difficulty trying to manually program I have looked on youtube for info but only found how to set up and use with a PC still trying to find something but to no avail
baz is offline   Reply With Quote