View Single Post
Old 28-05-2008, 23:31   #7447
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
All you have is a helpdesk referring (probably automatically) a query about a product to the supplier of that product for a response and then passing that response back to you. Look at the headers - it is clear that this is what is happening. What is not clear is what is being done by phorm with any personal information they get in the email sent to them - and we dont know if there is any at all - but this is exactly the behaviour I would expect from any large company helpdesk. So as I said earlier, you can ask BT and/or phorm what personal data there is and what they do with it but don't expect an honest reply any time soon. Good luck with the ICO if you are so minded, my view is that you are tilting at windmills here.
Even though in reference to a query about that very contact form, during a discussion on the exact status and data security of that very site and contact form, on the forum, BT said that it was an internal BT page? "Before you start to send emails to the moderators and our abuse team about this, http://webwise.bt,com isn't a phishing site. It's merely a part of BT.com that is hosted on a different set of servers, much like bt.custhelp.com which is hosted on Right Now's servers in California. Right Now's servers also handle all of the traffic in the "Contact Us" section of BT.com just like the form on the Webwise site and with a similar level of security for handling details like your account numbers."

and even though the Webwise FAQ thread on those SAME forums say in answering question 10

"Is BT selling customer data? BT has not sold and will not sell your data. No browsing data leaves BT network and no personally-identifiable information is generated or stored by the BT Webwise service or Phorm, the company that provides the technology behind the service. We do not tie our authentication servers and systems into Phorm's systems and we do not send any other information we hold on our subscribers to Phorm."

When I add all that up, and the fact that it is all DIRECTLY with reference to the BT Webwise service and site, then I find it very difficult to accept that BT are sending my email details to Phorm when I use the BT Webwise site contact form.

I feel that they have given reassurances to me directly about my data which they have then failed to honour and which seem to me to be directly misleading.

I'll certainly let you know how I get on.