View Single Post
Old 28-05-2008, 22:55   #7441
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I don't think this is BT consulting with Phorm, from what I have read about the References header, it is the origin of the message they are replying to. If that message was a technical email from Phorm, then the reply would go to them, not you.

This seems like it is definitely referring to the origin of the contact us form data.

Alexander Hanff
No, one of its recommended uses is to maintain continuity of a thread (or other relationship) when it is not evident from the normal sent / received trail. Its purpose would be to allow BT to remember who had created the answer if I subsequently queried the reply they had sent me. They are probably using a CRM or Case Management package that flows the work using emails and is setting the references header field, either for its own tracking purposes or most likely for no particular reason. The fact that it is being set suggests to me that there is no other more sinister purpose. Or maybe I am just in a trusting mood today...

BTW I agree the message is probably being forwarded to phorm automatically by a bot with a script, as you wrote earlier.