View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03   #4911
Eeeps
cf.addict

Eeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the rough
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Two issues at play here.

1) DOCSIS upstream is TDMA which is more prone to latency caused by utilisation - there are 2 contention points at play, contending to send your request for a grant and then waiting for the grant time to actually transmit the data.
2) DOCSIS allows large traffic bursts to request more bandwidth as part of a data burst so favours continuous large amounts of upstream traffic over small bursts such as a response to a TBB ping.

Downstream uses a scheduler at the CMTS. The pipe has to max out, with interest, in order to increase latency substantially.
Which makes sense but what about the relationship between download speed and latency.

At peak times my download drops to 50% (50Mb/s from 100Ms/s) but the peak latency on the graph does not increase significantly (outside of the test window).

If my download packets cannot be scheduled at the required rate to achieve 100Mb/s and are buffered in the CMTS then surely ICMP packet would be delayed too?

Also, the TBB speed test during peak hours shows a big drop in the x1 speed even before the x6 rate gets reduced. This x1 rate always starts high (close to 100Mb/s) and drops back to 20M/s or so.
To my mind this suggest some packet priority scheme on the downstream based on how close together packets are received by the CMTS for a particular CPE.
So if you're gaming with infrequent bursts these get scheduled immediately but if you are downloading the packets get delayed.

This is my speed test at ~11am

Ian
Eeeps is offline   Reply With Quote