View Single Post
Old 13-03-2019, 19:41   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Remote Tivo viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Well, I reckon between you two excellent helpers you might well have solved my problem.

Can I just run through what I understand?

To do:

Fit HDMI splitter, longish HDMI cable to 2nd TV.
Ethernet connection, Tivo to router (in addition to normal cable connection).

Download VM Tivo Control App to my smartphone.

Then:

I am in ‘second TV room’, and using my phone I can access ‘My Shows’ (or whatever) and play a programme on the second TV.

My partner is in the ‘main’ TV room, and at the same time can use her Tivo remote to view whatever she wants on ‘her’ TV.

And the only advantage in me getting my Tivo upgraded to V6 is that (given 2 remotes) I could use my V6 remote in my 2nd room?

Please put me straight if I’m off-track, as although I try hard to ‘get it’ all, I am old and doddery!

Ta.

Allen
That sounds like a plan however if you've just got the one box, you can't watch different things. You'd both see the same output, unless one of the TVs has Freeview/another source.

If you had 2 boxes you can watch recordings from either box on either TV, but again they'd need to be networked. Unlike Tivo the V6 doesn't necessarily need ethernet and can network via wifi.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Actually thinking about it, the VM control app let you play some of your recordings on your phone/tablet. Never tried it with a radio recording, might work. So you could be playing something on your phone whilst your Mrs watches something else. Download it and have a play (but the TiVo would need to worked for the streaming to phone to work). It's useful for other stuff too, like managing or setting recordings when you're elsewhere, doesn't need to be networked for that. Good luck !

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Take that back about the app, I think streaming to the app only works with the V6.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote