Thread: Nintendo 3DS
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2011, 14:04   #10
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo 3DS might be good for children's eyesight
http://www.t3.com/news/nintendo-3ds-...yesight?=54567

Quote:
Go for an eye exam...or buy a Nintendo 3DS

The Nintendo 3DS might actually be a good way of detecting eye problems in young children, despite some doctors warning that it could be harmful for their eyesight.

The American Optometric Association has come out with the news that, inspite of Nintendo themselves warning that the 3DS should not be used by children under the age of 6, allowing kids to play with the 3D console might help catch vision disorders.
I think "good for" might be stretching it a bit

What I find interesting, is that early days, all reviews were full of praise, but now there seems to be a certain amount of "Emperor's new clothes"

Quote:
Nintendo 3DS hands-on review

3D if you sit still

Though the 3D illusion is effective and quite impressive you do really have to play while sitting as still as you can. We tried using the console in 3D mode on the train but found it was impossible to hold it steady enough to stay in the viewing window to see the 3D effect, forcing us to downgrade to 2D. A massive disappointment, considering that the console is designed to be a portable device.

You really do have to concentrate on keeping the console still even when, for example, sitting at a desk and playing. This is frustrating when you just want to get on with gaming. If you're one of those gamers who gets into your games and ends up moving the console around in an effort to aid your play then this will cause you problems when trying to use the Nintendo 3DS.

We strongly recommend that you try before you buy to see how you react to the 3D effect, in order to see if it's really for you or not. ยต

Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...#ixzz1HJwmRIha
Battery inadequacies as well?
Quote:

Cradled by inadequacy: the 3DS battery put to the test
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...o-the-test.ars
When Nintendo announced that the battery life for the 3DS would be three to five hours while playing 3DS games, many people assumed that was a worst-case scenario, and you could extend that time by turning down the 3D, or the system's brightness, or turning off the wireless connection. The truth is that five hours seems to be the hard limit, and we had a very hard time even hitting that.

Using the cradle whenever the system isn't being played is a habit you're going to want to pick up, especially with a charging time of around three and a half hours.

I'm sure a 3DSi, 3DSXL or something will be out sooner or later to fix the early issues

Also, the launch games haven't received much praise, but I guess that's quite normal for console launch.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote