Old 21-12-2020, 09:28   #105
Zarf2007
cf.member

Zarf2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarf2007 View Post
Ok as per rtho782's setup, I plan to adapt this to work with the following:

LAN <- Asus AX86u Wireless router's 2.5Gbps WAN port <- mikrotik switch 10Gbps copper SFP module - (supports 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps modes) / 2 x 1Gbps copper SFPs <- SHUB4.

I would then create the same bond group on the mikrotik for the two ports connecting to the SHUB4 and bridge that to the port with the 10Gbps SFP copper module), cat6 cables will be used for the connections between the AX86U, Mikrotik and SHUB4.

I should then be able to max out the bandwith using the 4 x 1Gbps LAN ports and WIFI6.

Total cost would be £220 for the mikrotik switch + network optics, £20 for cat6 cables and around £240 for the Asus Router (though I bagged it for £180 on Amazon recently so the prices fluctuate).

Hoping this works! will post back with results when I receive the equipment.

Ok so quick update on this. Even though my hub4 doesn't have the latest firmware which would stop the ports 'unbonding' I went ahead with the setup anyway as figured I could at least test full speed for a few hours then it will drop down to one link so will be back to 950/52 which is what I had with just the AX86u and hub4 in modem mode.

Anyway, purchased the Mikrotik router and updated to the latest stable firmware and running in router mode. Configured the bond for two 1Gbps interfaces that were connected to the hub4. Bridged the bond (disabling arp) to the single interface that has a 10g copper module (also support 2.5g and 5g).

I then inside the Asus ax86u set the WAN port as the 2.5g port, connected with a cat6 cable to the Mikrotik router on its 10g copper module and confirmed that the Asus WAN port speed negotiated at 2.5g.

After rebooting everything and what seemed like 5 minutes, I got an Internet connection.

However, when testing with speed test I am getting 600/52 maximum!! tried removing one of the cables from the hub4 to Mikrotik but still no change. Not sure if the Mikrotik is restricting something as when I go direct from router's 2.5g wan port to hub4 (negotiated at 1Gbps) I get 950/52!!

only had limited time for testing so will try again later and report back..might also be better if and when vm deliver the firmware update to hub4.

Last edited by Zarf2007; 21-12-2020 at 09:58.
Zarf2007 is offline   Reply With Quote