View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 00:04   #4043
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

As I'm a bit more sad I decided to look into the Alba party's chances based on 'personality'.

If they're not going to hit the 5-7% 'threshold' nationally, which the polls strongly indicate they won't, then they'd be relying on personality in each area (as Tommy Sheridan did with the SSP in Glasgow)

Salmond himself is in North East Scotland where the Lib Dems got a solitary seat on 6%/18,444 votes. In the good old days (1999) Salmond would win about that many votes in Banff and Buchan. His ability to peddle the message that the SNP didn't take a solitary seat off the North East list plus his profile (if that's viewed is positive) might take him over. It could actually be a damning indictment of what the public think of him if he doesn't.

In Lothian their most high profile candidate is Kenny MacAskill the sitting MP for East Lothian but he underperformed vs the SNP nationally (he took 36% of the vote in that constituency/20k votes). The Greens got 2 list seats off 34k (10.6%) votes in the region so I wonder if Kenny can push the dial there.

Neale Hanvey is the sitting MP for Kircaldy and Cowdenbeath who won his seat on 16,568 votes in 2019 while suspended from the SNP. He's in mid-Scotland and Fife where the Greens got one off the list on 17,860 (6.1%).

I've genuinely never heard of the rest of them (well, Alex Arthur the former pro-boxer) and if Hanvey didn't have "MP" after his name I'd not have clicked on him either.

Three seats though if there's a minority Government...
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote