View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 16:43   #56
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Sir Keir Starmer elected as new Labour leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And extraordinary times they have been ... yet we still have a Tory government and one with a bigger majority than Cameron had in 2015.

In fact, things really don’t tend to change dramatically. Even the 1997 Labour landslide occurred after 18 years of Tory government, and Tony Blair’s major success was putting a fresh face on continuity. The Tories looked worn out, and out of ideas. Blair looked young and energetic but none of his new ideas actually changed very much; not in the first term anyway.

British electoral history since WW2 suggests a majority the size Boris has now can be reduced by an effective Labour campaign in 2024 but Starmer has next to no chance of actually winning it.
As I probably said at the time, I don't actually think DC was that great a leader, or even particularly liked. I think he was just disliked less than the leaders of the other parties. In short, I think the Tories won the election not because they fought well, but because the other parties fought more badly than they did.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote