View Single Post
Old 18-12-2018, 18:31   #75
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Funding of the BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
But the amount of money is what provides the breadth of services - they charge slightly more than Netflix and Amazon per month, but provide so much more...
They do in terms of breadth of services, Hugh, I agree, but Netflix provides much more excellent scripted content.

To be clear, I would still pay for the BBC if it scrapped the licence fee in favour of a subscription, and I think most households would do the same. But the Beeb would be much more accountable to its subscribers, much more careful with how it spends its money and would no longer charge people who didn't watch its output. What's more, the Government would interfere less than it does now and the BBC could pursue its on demand ventures to its heart's content without being slapped down by Ofcom.

I think a subscription based service has benefits to all, actually.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote