View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 22:37   #774
flowrebmit
Inactive

Services: VM BB 10Mb XL & TV L
flowrebmit will become famous soon enoughflowrebmit will become famous soon enoughflowrebmit will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt50 View Post
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, even if I opt out my data is mirrored and sent to a 'Profiler', this profiler is running Phorms 'Profiles' Software ? In what way is this being 100% switched off ? Also, is anybody else even more concerned that it now seems like the ISP's are allowing Phorms equipment and software to operate within the ISP network ?
From a technical pov, I thought it was the most likely scenario (otherwise why would have needed the cooperation of the ISPs), so yes I was worried from when this news first broke, and I am sure lots of people with far greater network knowledge and experience can see the massive risks in letting an unproven company with a poor track record of spyware connect equipment into the heart of a network.

By the way, part of the reason that I could never trust Phorm's CEO is that he claims that there was nothing wrong with his spyware, he said he was just misunderstood and it was only adware! Software that installs without a users consent and knowledge, and then hides itself from virus scanning isn't the act of innocent software.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
totally agree with that. Its so spot on its making my eyes water

Just remember people, be prepared to vote with your wallets when it comes to crunch time.

No retreat No surrender.
What if you live in an area far from a BT exchange and no LLU option? Dropping from 20Mb to whatever an ADSL can supply is tough...