Thread: General IP ver 6 testing?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 11:33   #21
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: IP ver 6 testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
I'm fortunate enough to have both IPv4 and IPv6 and my Windows kit has both addresses listed in ipconfig as does my XBox.
The only difference I noticed is my XBox NAT is now Moderate, whereas before IPv6 it was Strict.
So, do I notice any "real" difference in my day to day experience? Nope. It's been very underwhelming.
Before UPnP was a thing, it would have been a huge difference - no more port forwarding! However UPnP largely solved that issue and most software/routers/equipment autoconfigure forwarding ports. Those that don't tend to be older and wouldn't support IPv6 anyway.

However, there are some issues this solves - for example, if you've got two Xboxes, on a shared IPv4 over NAT there was no way for you both to be able to host games at the same time, as the games would go through the same port which would only get forwarded to one router. This might not have been a common issue, but it's certainly something I encountered when living with 4 other people who all had Xbox 360's.

Now, in future there's simply not going to be enough IPv4 addresses to go around and they'll be shared - this would mean that if you wanted to host an Xbox game, you'd have to hope that whoever else is sharing your address (Which could be hundreds of people) wasn't trying to do the same at the same time. Nightmare. IPv6 now means that won't happen in future.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote