View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 18:14   #2825
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'm fully aware of the Government's stated position, and as Chris notes this will be the stated position right up until it isn't. That's how poisonous our political discourse has become in recent times - Government can't be seen to be thinking without being accused of a 'u-turn', 'a betrayal' or similar. Thus it finds it easier to trot out a line until it decides to adopt another one.

At no point have I ever claimed to speak for the Government - I'm simply pointing out that you clearly haven't been following politics very closely if you think that such a major policy announcement would come out, unexpected and uncontrolled, at half 5 on a Wednesday.

Special Advisers and communications teams aren't paid handsomely for such a major policy change to come out so haphazardly.

As before - you clearly fail to understand the machine that is the Civil Service if you think that none of the people or priorities cross cut between Coronavirus response and future trading relationship with the EU.

Time limited, and importantly by our own agreement.

Supporting the Government line unquestionably doesn't mean you aren't stoking division.

I recognise that you aren't questioning what you are being spoon fed Old Boy, but I can't control your inability to engage in critical analysis of events.
You have never claimed to speak for the government. So what did you mean in post #2816?

This claim of yours that the government wouldn't trot out a major change to the government's position in the coronavirus scenario is of course correct, probably. However, one thing even you cannot deny is that it is the government's position that there will be no extension. I'm not concerned at all by any posts that question whether that is even possible, but your comments state categorically that it will not happen. I think I am perfectly justified to challenge you on that, because it is not based on evidence.

Of course I understand that the coronavirus is sapping the resources of politicians and the civil service. However, the government has made clear that the team dealing with trade deals are not involved in the coronavirus issues.