View Single Post
Old 15-11-2019, 10:10   #49
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Election 2019 - Week 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I'm sure Tony Benn said the same about the British Car Industry in the 70's.....................................

Rather than giving choice, you want to give everyone vanilla broadband.

Typical Marxist/Communist, you'll have us all driving state manufactured Ladas/ Polski Fiats. Watching only a few state owned tv channels and radio, that show continual programmes about our dear Leader Father Corbyn.
It will, whilst I disagree, I can understand the argument for Nationalisation of the rail, water and to a lesser extent power.

But the communications sector is not something that needs buggering about with. Communications are not like when the Post Office ran it. The speed of change and level of continual investment required would far outstrip anything a state owned vehicle could keep on top of, especially if they're giving it away for free.

It may have appeared to him as a great soundbite, but people will see it for what it is, pie in the sky election promises.
Except it's not comparable with the car industry at all - the most obvious being that cars exist in a worldwide market. I can import a German car, a Japanese car, etc.

I can't import broadband from literally thousands of like for like comparable products. I can buy BT, or a BT wholesale product through a third party. I'm lucky enough to have Virgin as an option.

However there isn't enough competition in the market to drive prices down due to the high fixed costs of installing being a barrier to entry.

While I'm sure many in the telecommunications sector would rightly be terrified of their cushy jobs and massive profits coming under threat. However to the average household saving £300 to £600 a year and finding broadband through taxation would be beneficial.

The state is already having to massively subside areas that aren't "cost effective" anyway - might as well bring the profitable parts into the fold to benefit the taxpayer.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Not sure how someone stating some services aren’t creating genuine competition makes them a Marxist/Communist - according to that logic, Adam Smith is a Marxist...

Or....

You could just be smearing someone?
It's just right wing propaganda because they know their time is coming. Tick tock.