View Single Post
Old 23-01-2018, 02:25   #159
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: President Trump & U.S Election 2016 Investigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I thought the 'no filibuster' rule could only be used once a year and McConnell blew it on the health care vote?
No such rule exists like that that I’m aware of. Majority leader can raise a point of order to the presiding officer that a simple majority is required, they can deny it but it is then appealed by the chair, then appealed and overturned by majority vote.

GOP actually used the no filibuster on Supreme Court Justice Nominee, Neil Gorsuch, when Democrats filibustered during his confirmation in the Senate, he was confirmed by simple majority. 52/48.

It’s interesting to note that the filibuster rule is not in the Constitution. It was a rule created in the Senate in 1806, but strangely wasn’t used until the late 1830s, it was strengthened more in the 1970s. So when there is talk of going ‘Nuclear’, which is precisely what President Trump suggested should happen if the Stalemate and government shutdown had continued, is in essence to go Constitutional, by means of winning a vote by simple majority, or i.e 51.

Personally, I think it’s a stupid rule, it’s unconstitutional and I’m surprised it’s been allowed to pass as a legal qualifier when it comes to passing or rejecting legislation.