View Single Post
Old 21-11-2018, 12:53   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Funding of the BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The problem with subscription is the BBC does a lot of real public service broadcasting too. BBC News obviously, BBC World Service to an extent, but all the local radio and local production work. The BBC is the default platform for any national or local events that need coverage and I am not sure how that would work with a subscription service since these things are meant to be there for everyone.

I also think we want to protect and promote British artists and the BBC along with the National Theatre and other such schemes do that really well. So many of the internationally successful British artists, from musicians to writers, were given their first exposure to the world via the BBC. I don't want Britain to become a side market of America.
There is nothing to stop the government continuing to fund public service broadcasting. This is not an argument against having a subscription instead of the licence fee.

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sometimes in life OB one has to think of the large majority rather then a very small minority don't you think so?.
I don't think it is any way justifiable to charge people for an entertainment service they never use. Why would you even think that was fair?

As I said before, there are other means of revenue generation that could plug any gap between money collected via subscriptions and the money currently collected through the licence fee.

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The government has reduced the BBC funding so is certainly no friend of the BBC as it stands.

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

We are in 2018 OB not the 1960's.
There is no doubt that many Conservatives do not like the way the BBC operates at present.

So you truly believe those OTT detector horns on top of the vans are actually capable of detecting anything? I think they are there to intimidate!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote