View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 14:06   #23
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Does soap damage CDs/DVDs?

To avoid confusion, I thought it best to re-ask the question in its own discussion topic.

I have noticed that whilst you can easily wash away soap, the 'grease' from the soap stays on your hands and that it is not that easy to fully dry your hands.

I came across his in a Google search which said:

"CDs and DVDs are made from polycarbonate, with a layer of foil (gold or aluminum) protected by a layer of lacquer... A mild dish soap that is water-based. Isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol and water - mixed at a rate of 1:1....If you'll be careful to not scratch the disc, the washing itself will not damage the disc. btw, because of the soap can leave some residuals."

It is this protective layer that is mentioned in this article written in 2013 which stops CDs and DVDs being damaged by soap, especially after the soap has been thoroughly rinsed away, thereby leaving greasy hand?.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote