View Single Post
Old 25-01-2023, 12:40   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Quality of new build houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Has anyone seen the quality of new build houses that seem to spring up all over the place and be built within a matter of weeks?

The quality is shocking and there seems to be lots of bad work being signed off.

We've got a new estate that has been built near us and all the houses look the same, no character to them, and look like they are made of cardboard.

Plenty of people complaining of damp around their skirting boards.....These houses were built on fields that had natural water drainage and streams. Great idea!

See these videos here where a company goes in and highlights all the dangerous bad workmanship:

https://www.youtube.com/@newhomequalitycontrol4803

The only thing new builds seem to offer is better insulation.
As someone who has lived in a new build, I would definately not buy one again and am now glad to be out of them.

What do you think?
I think given the number of different companies building homes in the UK is so great that you aren’t just generalising, you are generalising beyond the point of absurdity.

I’m living in a new build, on an estate that’s still being built. My neighbours have been moved in anything from 4 to 18 months (we’ve been in for 7 months now). As it’s a shared site the local facebook group includes discussion of house types erected by two different builders.

Sure there are snagging issues. After a while you can spot which builder they’re talking about by the issue they bring up. And one of them is definitely better than the other (I’m in the better half of the estate thankfully). In our house all the snags have involved internal doors that have needed minor adjustments so they fasten shut and/or don’t catch on the door frame. They’ve been addressed quickly and without fuss, first by a joiner and then by a decorator repainting where a badly fitting door has damaged paintwork even slightly.

On our street there are at least 4 (possibly 6) different house types mixed to prevent uniformity. They are all stepped forwards and backwards from the street to further break up the line. Although I should add that if you walk down any street built between the wars you will see endless semi-detached houses that are near identical even though they were often only built a half dozen at a time by lots of different independent builders, and all in long, straight lines. And you can see similar in any Victorian terrace or 1950s council estate. Uniform looking new build developments are hardly a new thing.

In Scotland at least, most new homes are constructed as timber kit, so the inner frame is wood rather than the aerated blocks that were common from the latter 20th century onwards. This probably contributes to the apparent speed of construction, and on our estate at least they use a method of assembling the entire roof frame on the ground before craning it in place. I reckon that this speeds the process up but visually gives the illusion of it being faster still.

I’m wondering though, why you think rapid construction is a bad thing per se?

Last edited by Chris; 25-01-2023 at 12:44.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote