Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 20:51   #2880
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's the point, isn't it? We've not seen this proposed deal in its current form and Theresa May has said explicitely that no British PM would agree to an Irish border, border in the Irish Sea, etc. So it is a bit premature to criticise it before it has actually seen the light of day.

Any agreement to retain the customs union will only last for the implementation period, because as I keep saying, we cannot make our own trade deals while that remains in place.
The issue is that the N.I. “ backstop” could keep the UK in the CU, and therefore effectively in EU purgatory indefinitely until a solution to the N.I. Border is found. Which without an6 time limit or urgency could be years and years.

That is the issue.

That’s why we have to come out and negotiate a solution to N.I. From outside the EU. It is the only way to deliver Brexit.

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Remember that the ‘bit of pain’ around the Irish border subverts the democratic will of the people of Northern Ireland who voted for the Good Friday Agreement with a 71.1% yes vote.
True, that why the Ireland and U.K. governments would need to sort something out very quickly.