Thread: UK Timeline Doctor Who
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 18:02   #361
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
That was the case for most of the pre "new" series.
All the episodes I used to watch ended on a cliff hanger each week (3rd/4th/5th etc Doctors), and every story was generally 4 or 6 episodes as well.

Autons !
The difference between Hartnell and all the rest of the classic era was that there was still a cliffhanger between the stories. In fact the stories themselves weren’t given overall titles until years later. The first ‘story’, which spanned the original show’s first 4 episodes, is now known as ‘An Unearthly Child’, because that happens to be the title of the first episode. However the second, six-part story, now commonly called ‘The Daleks’, doesn’t have an episode title by that name. Part one of that story is called ‘The Dead Planet’, and it is set up by the cliffhanger at the end of an episode called ‘The Firemakers’, which is An Unearthly Child part 4. At the end of this episode, the Tardis travels from prehistoric earth to Skaro, and the closing shot is the TARDIS’ radiation detector beginning to register the dangerous environment outside.

I suspect that they really are now setting the show up to exist as a bingeable streaming series, internationally at least, and if they start going for cliffhangers in between stories, or anything remotely like that, then I think that would suggest I’m right. However we will just have to wait and see. Not long now!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote