View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 14:01   #110
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Movie news, trivia and other snippets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
That seems unlikely, and rather self defeating.
If they vanished around here, I would stop going to the cinema.

So how is less customers helpful to them ?
I certainly wont be rushing to pay and watch them at home.
Well that's what the cinemas are hoping will happen and maintaining the exclusivity window helps that.

But if the studios can get away with selling £15 rentals at sufficient demand then that's more profitable for them. Studios would prefer to maintain as much control over the distribution of their product as possible, it's why Disney use their leverage to make demands of how many showings their films get.

The internet gives them this control. Disney have been given one more element of control in the distribution of their product with Disney+. At the moment they still need cinemas because more people watch these films in theatres but it's not a given it'll stay that way.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
No matter which way you look at it it is bad for the cinemas. People like you and I may still make the effort to go to the cinema but I imagine at least half the time families will think twice and try and stay in with children and say they'll get a pizza from Asda and some sweets and have a cinema at home and save a fortune. The chances of everybody still going to the cinema and nobody watching vod on release is 0 so cinemas are going to lose money, it is just a question of whether it is 5% of your customers, 10% or I would say more likely 20%.

Unless you are a movie fan most people only go to the cinema a few times a year to see the big films so when other films come round that you could perhaps you could compromise on you are going to do it and this year's film list has many examples. Without going through all of them, I think we can all agree that we would have been happy watching Underwater, Fantasy Island and The Invisible Man at home at not venturing out to the cinema for it for all the expense it incurs.
I don't think cinemas will die out. I just think they'll become more like book shops where the giant chains of huge stores died out but smaller independent chains who offer a more tailored experience survive. The huge cinemas with in excess of 20 screens and a big car park are at more risk than the smaller cinemas that offer different films alongside the blockbusters.

Look at Curzon. They'll probably be OK (assuming COVID-19 doesn't do it in).
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote