View Single Post
Old 19-07-2017, 13:38   #1901
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There is very little to watch on ITV Encore that isn't available on VM On Demand under the ITV Collections section or ITV 3. Basically, it's mainly repeats of programmes already shown on ITV, so it's not surprising that so few people watch it. The channel can't possibly be paying its way, so expect this to be put out on all platforms before much longer (with the possible exception of BT, if Sky's spat with them continues).

The only programme of note that we watch is 'The Americans'.
It's owned by ITV, so I don't think that Sky could stop it going onto the BT platform, especially as Sky would no longer be paying for carriage & playout.

From what you've said it sounds ripe for closure, they could just put The Americans onto ITV3, but the sudden FTA tests may indicate that ITV will try to go it alone as a FTA channel.

If ITV get a Freeview slot for it, it would end up on BT's platform by default!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Talking about Eurosport:

Reports on a516digital say that Discovery are in talks to takeover Scripps Networks Interactive the owners of Travel Channel, Food Network and 50% of UKTV (Gold, Drama and Home plus others)

Viacom are waiting to see what happen and may launch bid for Scripps Networks Interactive.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/07/d...ecome-one.html
An interesting development, I would rather Discovery bought Scripps than Viacom as they are now embracing the FTA market, whereas Viacom seem to generally prefer encryption of their channels. I think it's only the Viacom music channels that are encrypted now.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-07-2017 at 13:41.