View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 14:26   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Microsoft Edge Browser to use the Chromium Rendering Engine

I use Edge from time to time. I've quite liked it so far. Although I'm no fan of Chrome (the UI irritates me, as does the fact Flash Player is built in), I think the Chromium engine is good, and a standard rendering engine is a good thing, as long as all the browser manufacturers who use it contribute to it.

Personally, I use Safari or Vivaldi. Safari uses a webkit engine (Chromium's Blink engine is a fork of Webkit). Vivaldi uses the Blink engine. I'm glad Edge is switching.

I think using a standardised engine is a good thing. While HTML has always been a standard, some browser manufacturers tended to try and get an advantage by altering their implementation of HTML. As a web designer, it's a massive pain in the butt to ensure your site works well on multiple browsers. As a user, it can be a massive pain to put up with a site that doesn't work well in a given browser, or requires a given browser.

By implementing a standard engine, the browser manufacturers are free to innovate where they can do most good. In the user interface.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote