View Single Post
Old 16-05-2020, 11:00   #158
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I get that 1Gb is going to be my ceiling, but am I right in saying that I don't reach the full 1Gb because of overheads/my Ethernet network latency?
I don't think so, Roughie. In the older days when we were on 200 Meg, for example, we were all getting well in excess of that. Those who were on 500 Meg were reporting 540 Meg. This both in router mode and modem mode.

What seems to be perplexing you is why can't you go all the way to 1 Gbps. With a bit of thought, you could lash up two computers on the same LAN and perform a huge file transfer and then time it (there must be some software to do this somewhere).

Addressing the latency question, it's quite complicated. The LAN ports are buffered - which is a mitigation against latency. So latency could then depend on what else is happening in target equipment - like sending ACKs back to the data source. That said, speeds tests don't require ACKs. But through the AX1100 LAN port, other stuff in the background might be doing things like looking for emails or whatever. That will steal bandwidth.

Do you have an AX capabvle mobile and if so, what speed test speed do you get when every other app is dormant?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote