View Single Post
Old 13-05-2020, 10:19   #142
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I agree, a few places already offer 10Gig connections even. I think we'll be stuck around 1gig for a while simply because most people use the hub and the hub can share >1gig across all its interfaces. The ones missing out are the ones wanting to use their own router, but even then there's not a huge amount with 2.5G ports. Finding switches with 2.5G+ ports is a chore as well. They exist, but they're not cheap at all.

It's a weird time when your internet connection speed is surpassing your home LAN speed.
Virgin Media clearly state that we should be getting an average of 1.1Gb. They are unwise to do so.

Even connected direct to my very capable PC, with the Hub 4 in router mode, and using the CAT6 patch cable provided, I could only get a max speed of 948Mb. I tried this at peak and off-peak times. It made no difference. My hardware was holding back the top speed the connection is configured at.

Clearly, a PC that only has a gigabit network card isn't going to get over 1000Mb anyway. As soon as I distributed around my CAT5e network I got exactly the same result, bang on 948Mb max. Switching to modem mode and shoving it all through my newly purchased GT-AX11000, I still maxed at 948Mbps, even using the 2.5Gb port. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhlpLoG7kfyGp7p5...sN4rw?e=NYoSWf

Who out there is likely to already have devices, cards, switches, cables etc capable of getting 1.1Gbps? Who has Wifi devices capable of this? Zero domestic customers? Just imagine the calls CS are going to get because virtually nobody can get the declared average down speed. Virgin Media would have been better off selling their package as 900Mb just like Vodaphone/City Fibre are doing, but with their symmetrical FTTP service. As you suggested Kush, Virgin Media will say that their 1.1Gb is a reality, even if you can't measure it, because it is being shared, when in router mode, through the hub's four ports, and through wifi, to a number of devices. This won't stop calls and complaints though. They will pay for their willy waving.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1speeds

Last edited by roughbeast; 13-05-2020 at 10:30.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote