View Single Post
Old 31-12-2019, 01:31   #10
rssfed23
cf.member

rssfed23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Whats the upload speed on this M1000/Gig1 ?
52Mbit/s. Which is the main downside IMHO. Especially as DOCISS3.1 is capable of much more symmetry than 3.0.

The only other downside is that although Virgin over provision (like they do on all their services) to 1,104Mbps they've only got bog standard 1GbE x 4 on the Hub 4. No SFP or 2.5GBASE-T.
So anyone that uses modem mode (including yours truly) will never be able to get more than ~928Mbps on a TCP connection due to unavoidable Ethernet overheads. If Jumbo frames were enabled you could make that ~987Mbps.

95% of customers I imagine don't use modem mode so will be able to get the full 1,104Mbps if you take multiple devices using it at once into consideration.
But I think it's also fair to say that many people who truly desire/have need to to max out their Gigabit connection are much more likely to be "power users" and desire modem mode as we see over in the VM Forum.
It would have cost Virgin very little to add a SFP port in the grand scheme of things and allow people to get nearly 150Mbps more, especially given those same users (who I completely agree are very much in the minority out of the whole customer base) often have SFP capable third party routers. Plus it's basic future proofing.

But in the grand scheme of things it's not a massive deal and I'm still very happy with the upgrade (I'm possibly going to end up doing double-NAT and using dual WAN ports so I can segregate off the servers from the home network users so if both max out at once I'll get ~1,104), but I can understand why some get wound up about it. VM foresaw the issue in advance hence why they bundle SamKnows One into the VM hub so people can do speed tests without ever going other the ethernet circuits!

It has to be said as well; in the past when I was in Southampton I would always worry about speed increases due to the contention and the aging nature of the old NTL copper we had. Where we are in Oakley it's FTTP/RFoG and speaking to the neighbours/on nextdoor no one seems to have any significant issue (I guess because utilisation is relatively low overall). After 15 years with VM this technology in place now feels so much more stable than HFC. At first I was doubtful as it seemed crazy to build 90% of a GPON FTTP network just to use it to relay RF over Fibre but after using it for a couple of years as well as using leased line fibre I have no issue with it and see it as a good interim step.

Last edited by rssfed23; 31-12-2019 at 01:37.
rssfed23 is offline   Reply With Quote