View Single Post
Old 15-07-2022, 19:20   #1454
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A commitment is a commitment, and it’s the first slide down the slope of these companies - who ostensibly are not making money finding ways to monetise their most valuable asset: your data.
A commitment? How does this change of tack affect anyone adversely? Had they decided to show ads on the existing subscription tiers, a lot of angry people would be protesting.

What they are doing is giving access to people who do not want to pay the full subscription. Nothing wrong with that.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
One day when I’m sufficiently bored I’ll look up my post from several years ago, in which I said this move was a racing certainty sooner or later. Plus of course the flat denials from the usual suspects.
Yes, and that included me, for two reasons. First, I thought it would be a very wrong move to subject us all to ads when a great many people were glad to escape them with the streamers. Second, the CEO said that Netflix wouldn’t do it.

Well, now they’ve decided to go for it because circumstances have changed. But as I said to jfman, it’s of no consequence because existing subscribers are not affected.