View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 09:32   #12
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Logmein Hamachi VPN permanently affecting downstream speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
I've had the problem but also never resolved it re: Bandwidth cap. The program also caused DNS issues and adapter issues leading to 'No Internet connection' or Web pages just failing to load.

I remember removing Hamachi didn't resolve any of the above issues. It definitely fiddles with the network adapter or something else. Its been that long I can't remember the steps I used to take to restore everything to normality, that might have given an insight.

I remember the 'No Internet connection' issue being fairly common and widespread. A quick Google confirms as such.
Yes, a Google search does highlight similar problems 1) with getting slow bandwidth and 2) the difficulty of getting back to normal even if you uninstall Hamachi. In both instances none of the suggested solutions worked, including treating Hamachi as malware and rooting it out with malware detectors. Do let me know if something pops into your head from the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Sounds a bit like the program is applying a kludge, probably in the BIOS, because a faster connection causes problems for the VPN.
Kludginess seems to be a design feature of Hamachi. What do you think is the most likely setting to have been messed with in Bios that could cause network speed to be pegged back to 120Mb? I Googled that and found discussions about bios possibly affecting network speed, but it turned out that bios didn't unless it was an ancient MOBO without 1Gbs Ethernet ports.

I did see discussion about Hamachi servers storing your client IP for future reference and pegging back all connections to this. Hamachi does apply a different IP to private network client machines even if more than one client machine is running off the same router. IPs are in the range 192.168.2.** Could Hamachi have some remnant on the machine, even after a full uninstall, that pegs your global internet connection back? If so, that is one diabolical Kludge!
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote