View Single Post
Old 31-01-2020, 16:24   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Logmein Hamachi VPN permanently affecting downstream speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Having never used a VPN, after reading this thread I'd be very wary about using one in the future . . especially a free one.

Not to worry you, but I'd also be wondering what else it was doing, apart from lowering your internet speeds

Fresh windows install definitely a must IMO.
Personally, I am curious how a VPN can enhance the gaming experience.. I know that this system can enable people to play LAN games (games limited to local network) over the internet, and I can see that depending how the VPN routes your connection, it may give you a shorter route to your game servers (shorter route=more responsive game), but there is also an overhead in that that data needs to be encrypted and decrypted, which may not only wipe out the advantage of the shorter route, but may take longer than the time you save.

I am genuinely curious about this.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote