View Single Post
Old 14-01-2015, 17:39   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Charges for receiving calls from overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
If my phone rings and then the person hangs up, I don't get charged as I never answered the call.
Correct. As I stated above, when your phone rings, it is simply instructed to ring by your foreign operator who hold the call in an unanswered state - there is never an actual 'connected call' happening.

Quote:
When my phone rings and then goes to voicemail, it stops ringing abroad and then gets diverted to my voicemail. If what is actually happening is that the call goes from uk to spain, back to uk again thats a stupid system.
It's the system that has been allowing you to use your phone and number abroad for the last twenty years. The divert system doesn't work optimally in this scenario as it was never designed to be used in this manner.

Quote:
When the call goes to voicemail, EE should terminate the call and then dial directly to my voicemail
The whole reason roaming works is because the foreign operator 'takes over' a vast majority of the functions of your home network, so your phone can't tell EE anything, it's connected to the foreign network, it can only tell your foreign network to send the call to voicemail.

Believe it or not, with some less-advanced networks your caller even has to then enter your phone number once connected to your voicemail, because your caller ID is dropped on the return leg so the answering machine cannot tell whose phone the incoming message is for.

* The ability to pass through commands from a roaming network to your home operator does vary by network and technology, so some are better than others at this. It's all very inconsistent when you have a smattering of every technology and roaming agreement set up over the last two decades
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote