View Single Post
Old 17-01-2021, 20:32   #1
perky890@gmail.c
cf.member

perky890@gmail.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Asus RT-AC86U vs VM Hub 3.0 worth it?

Hi guys.

Stumbled upon this forum via google and thought it would be a great place to ask a couple of questions regarding upgrading my router.

My ISP is virgin media and im running the Hub 3.0 on a 200mbs connection.

I have the following wifi devices on my network: my phone, partners phone, house alarm, x2 TVs, x3 amazon echos, x2 fire sticks, x2 laptops and the central heating.

I have noticed a greater average wifi speed since upgrading to 200mbs from 100mbs (assuming its because there is greater bandwidth to share amongst everything connected to the network) however its not as fast as i was hoping.

When connected to the router via ethernet i do get 200mbs however via wifi ive measured 90mbs max with an average of around 60mbs.
In the room the furthest from the router (circa 10m line of sight through a floor and 2 brick walls) it is only around 20mbs on a good day. All on 2.4ghz.

Im looking for better wifi speeds if possible all around the house without moving the router. I do have a TP link poweline range extender on the landing however i only get around 40mbs from that.

Im considering putting my hub in modem mode and getting an Asus RT-AC86U router.

If i do this is it realistic to expect faster wifi speeds all around and a better range thus giving me faster speeds in the room furthest away?

Many thanks.
perky890@gmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote