View Single Post
Old 26-08-2017, 00:45   #3638
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The thing is, with a cable subscription, you need to pay out for the full package just to get the few channels you actually want to see. You can get more choice with a Freeview box and one OTT subscription, which will cost you far less.

I think people will coast between streaming options to get best value, given that there are no long contracts locking you in. You can still save money and increase your choice by combining Freeview with just one streaming service at a time.
You could argue that in the UK we have already reached the point where OTT is as expensive if not more so than a cable/satellite package.

Lets take the most common OTT subscriptions as an example on a monthly basis....
If you were foolish enough to pay full price and not take advantage of vouchers or frequent offers with Now TV then to take the full package of movies, entertainment, kids and sports would be (if my maths is correct) £54.96, add in £7:49 for an HD Netflix subscription and £6:58 for Amazon Prime and you're looking at a pound and a few pence under 70 quid a month.
Factor in £20 a month for a basic internet connection or more likely £30 (at least) for a semi decent connection and you're not far short of £100 a month.

I've worked the above out on the most popular OTT services, I personally wouldn't have every Now TV package (not without offers anyway) but if my subscription costs were that much a month I'd rather pay that out so that the services I want could hopefully flourish and provide their wares for many years to come.
What I wont do ever again is pay that sort of amount each month to subsidise a load of rubbish just so I can have the channels and content I do want.